How to get started in…
That’s what I learnt from running Coding Grace workshops and PyLadies Dublin meetups. People want help with:-
- setting up their machines
- tools to use for coding
Just basically help on where to start.
Being in a workshop has its advantages, you are with a group of people who want to learn, and I noticed lots of people start pairing up and helping each other along the way. In Coding Grace workshops, I try to have a mentor per five attendees as well as aiming to have diverse mentors (who are awesome and volunteer on their own time).
If you don’t have access to a local coding group, here are a few places that might be useful to visit to get started (in alphabetical order):-
- Code Academy - http://www.codecademy.com/
- Code Avengers - http://www.codeavengers.com/
- Code Combat - http://codecombat.com/
- Khan Academy Computer Programming - https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming
- Learn Code the Hard Way - http://learncodethehardway.org/
- Udemy (not free) - https://www.udemy.com/
Have you come across other self-learning sites that would be useful for others? Drop me an email and I will update this post crediting you (optional, only if you want to).